Thursday, December 3, 2015

The Space Between



I didn't really intend to write this post--it sort of wrote itself. I was sitting in my kitchen, watching the squirrels eat the sunflower seeds  meant for the birds, listening to Pandora on my computer, when The Space Between came on. Now, there are two elements of back story you should know: one, I am a huge Dave Matthews fan; two, I had just come home from the UPS Store, having just mailed my most recent manuscript (The Intern) off to my literary agent, the fabulous Elizabeth Kracht of Kimberley Cameron & Associates. As the first few guitar riffs drowned out the bickering between the chipmunks and the squirrels, before Dave Matthews' gravelly vocals filled the air, I realized I was in The Space Between.  

The space between the wicked lies we tell
And hope to keep safe from the pain

Ok, so maybe not that space between, but one not all that dissimilar. I mean, I write fiction... none of the things I put down on the paper actually happened (at least that's what it says on the disclaimer.) And currently, with one project crammed into in a cardboard box in the belly of an airplane over Nebraska or Utah, and the next project still bouncing around inside my skull, I am in the space between. And frankly, it sucks...

The space between the bullets in our firefight
Is where I'll be hiding, waiting for you

It's not like I don't have a lot of ideas about the next project, but an idea for a novel is one thing, and an idea that will survive months of scratching down the first draft, several more months of reworking the first draft into something that's readable, and another couple of months of sending to Beta-readers and incorporating their thoughts is another.
 
The space between what's wrong and rightIs where you'll find me hiding, waiting for you

There's also the fact that--after years of hard work and trying--I was able to sign with an incredible agent, the aforementioned Liz Kracht. And while getting signed by a top-notch literary agent was the best thing that has happened to me as a writer, it also adds to the number of things I need to consider. Liz wants me to continue work on The Jesuit Thriller Series, and I want to continue this as well, but the fact that I spent four years on the project and it still isn't published gives me just a little pause.

You cannot quit me so quickly
Is no hope in you for me
No corner you could squeeze me
But I got all the time for you, love


I love these lyrics, because I can identify with them. (I suspect you can too.) As I read them, something my wife said to me ten years ago--when I started writing my first novel--came back to me. "Write because you want to write, Peter, write because you enjoy it. Don't write to be published, or to become famous, or get rich, because none of those things may happen. Write because you have to."

The space between your heart and mine
Is the space we'll fill with time


And just as quickly as that, I'm no longer in the space between. So what if I labored for hours writing Absolution, the first installment of The Jesuit Thriller series;  I loved every minute of it. So what if I came agonizingly close to getting a publishing contract but didn't in the end; I want to write the second installment because Father Marco and the other characters are real people to me, and they need to live and breathe.

Thanks Dave!




You cannot quit me so quickly
Is no hope in you for me
No corner you could squeeze me
But I got all the time for you, love

The space between the tears we cry
Is the laughter keeps us coming back for more
The space between the wicked lies we tell
And hope to keep safe from the pain
But will I hold you again?

These fickle, fuddled words confuse me
Like, will it rain today?
Waste the hours with talking, talking
These twisted games we're playing
We're strange allies with warring hearts
What a wild-eyed beast you'll be

The space between the wicked lies we tell
And hope to keep safe from the pain
But will I hold you again?
Will I hold?

Look at us spinning out in the madness of a roller coaster
You know you went off like the Devil in a church
In the middle of a crowded room
All we can do, my love is hope we don't take this ship down

But the space between where you're smilin' high
Is where you'll find me if I get to go
The space between the bullets in our firefight
Is where I'll be hiding, waiting for you

The rain that falls splash in your heart
Ran like sadness down the window into your room
The space between our wicked lies
Is where we hope to keep safe from pain

Take my hand 'cause we're walking out of here
Oh, right out of here, love is all we need, dear
The space between what's wrong and right
Is where you'll find me hiding, waiting for you

The space between your heart and mine
Is the space we'll fill with time

The space between
The space between

I'll end here, with the YouTube Music Video of The Space Between

Cheers, peter
:) 


Peter Hogenkamp is a practicing physician and author living in Rutland, Vermont. Peter's writing credits include ABSOLUTION, the first book of The Jesuit thriller series; THE LAZARUS MANUSCRIPT, a stand-alone medical thriller; and THE INTERN, a novel loosely based on Peter's medical internship, excerpts of which can be seen on Wattpad. Peter can be found on his Author Website as well as his personal blog, PeterHogenkampWrites, where he writes about most anything. Peter is the founder and editor of Prose&Consthe literary blog for readers and writers written by authors, editors, agents, publishers and poets; a frequent contributor and reviewer at ReadWave; the founder and moderator of groups on Facebook (The Library), Google+ (Fiction Writers Anonymous); and the chief of two tribes on Triberr, The Big Thrill and Fiction Writers. Peter tweets--against the wishes of his wife and four children--at @phogenkampvt and @theprosecons. Peter can be reached at peter@peterhogenkamp.com or through his literary agent (Liz Kracht of Kimberely Cameron & Associates) at liz@kimberleycameron.com.

 

1 comment :

Sue Coletta said...

I doubt there's a writer alive who can't relate to this, Peter.